Pandora Downloader : Installation Instructions

Do not Support This Project

It seems Pandora has fixed the bug which we had been exploiting to download music. But we have a few more leads, and are working on it.

By the end of this week, you should be able to get your Pandora Downloaders running again.

Downloading and running the Pandora Downloader should be the easiest thing you would have ever done on the internet. There are no complicated options and no installers which fill your registry with data. Pandora Downloader is a simple c# application, which keeps you closer to your music.

No complicated installation, just click and play. Here is the screen shot :

To run the Pandora Downloader:

1. Download the .NET Framework from the microsoft site ( Link : Dot Net Framework 2.0 )
2. Download the PandoraDownloader binary ( Link : Pandora Downloader 1.0 )
3. Extract the binary using WinRar ( Link : WinRar 3.70 Beta 2 )
4. Start Internet Explorer
5. Go to site www.pandora.com and start the online radio. ( Starts automatically )

6. The songs which can be downloaded should not be visible. If they are not visible, press the Refresh button.
7. When you are able to view the songs, select the ones you would like to download and click Download
8. To view or play the downloaded songs, open Windows Explorer and go to address “C:Pandora”.
9. Enjoy your music, even when you are not online.
10. After you are done, to close the application, click Close

The key features in v1.0 include

1. Only download songs which you like, preventing cluttering your hard disk.
2. It can also be used without running the actual radio.
3. Queued Downloads.
4. Check for duplicate files.
5. Asynchronous Data Transfer.

I intend to add the following features soon:

1. Multiple browser support ( Notably firefox )
2. A global database for song listing.
3. Search option for song selection.
4. Mp3 player inside the application.

In case you experience any difficulties, or would like to post your suggestions and feedback, please post a comment below or mail me at sudhanshuraheja at gmail dot com.

UPDATE :
If you get an error which says “The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click OK to terminate the application”, you need to reinstall the Dot Net Framework. The link can be found here.

UPDATE :
Next release would be available on the 5th February, 2007.

UPDATE :
As of today, Pandora Smuggler has crossed a 100 downloads. (Sourceforge)
[There were 1537 during the last two hours]

UPDATE :
In case you are using Internet Explorer 7, could you please comment if the Downloader is running fine or not. There might be an issue with Internet Explorer 7. I need your response to confirm the same. Thanks.

UPDATE :
The problem was not with the browser version, but due to Pandora fixing the problem. We are working on a new solution. And it should be up by the weekend.

UPDATE:

Pandora is dying…. (Link)

UPDATE:

Here is a new way to hear Pandora.com again if you are outside the US..

Also on Comments in Tech Recipes

This entry was tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

97 Responses to Pandora Downloader : Installation Instructions

1. matt says:

Hey,

Good idea! Can’t wait for it to start working again.

Will this work with other “embedded” pandora players? If so, why not implement a WebBrowser control within your program?

2. Anonymous says:

Hi,
    Your program sounds great. I wanted to try it out, so I downloaded everything like you said. But after launching the program it won’t recognize that the IE7 is open and Pandora is playing my songs.

Have tried to reopen browser or program (and change the order), but to no avail.

I still get the “please run pandora in IE” error, even though it’s playing.
    What can I do to fix this?

thnx :-) .

3. Igor says:

Just to help you out improving that.

I have IE 7.0.5730.11.

Temp Internet Files…. cleared.
    Cookies… cleared.

Still get the message “No data available yet. Please run Pandora.com in Internet Explorer”.

Refresh doens’t work, also.

4. Anonymous says:

I’ll wait for the ‘hopefully working’ next release.
    But please, oh please, if you do manage to get it working again… don’t release the code!

5. Cowboy H4x0r says:

Doesn’t find any data when running internet explorer in windows vista.

6. Vercingetorix says:

thanks a lot guys, will let you know as soon as i get it working.

7. Anonymous says:

I`ll be glad with the next release:
    1-)to be able to delete songs from the list
    2-)to be able to minimize
    3-)to be able to pause(at least stop) downloading

thanks:)

8. AZwerebear says:

Vercingetorix: I downloaded your program and it was working GREAT in IE6 was using it for a few days and all of a sudden it quit refreshing.
    this weekend Im going to try loading it on a older computer with a much older IE.

You say Pandora Moved where they were placing the XML?

Pandora is STILL placing these files on my computer!

So how can I find out where there being placed?

Im waiting for a fix also might try pandora jar.

if all else fails, I’ll just go back to recording the audio direct to a .wav file.

These new operating systems and browsers and updates and such are crap.

Im going to put together a “Wayback” machine
    All old software, so I can get back to actually running my computer and not letting it run me.

I have an older machine, that I can run an older OS on and it can access all files and stuff, without being “Hidden”

9. AZwerebear says:

OH! Since everyone loves music here!
    maybe some of you might enjoy this really cool station.

its basically my Entire Mp3 collection “40,000″ songs and growing on Shuffle Play :o )

10. AZwerebear says:

Well “Smuggler” did not even work on older equiptment.

Still getting music from Pandora though :o )

Its called AUDIO RECORDING!!!

Using The “ALL AUDIO RECORDER 2.1″

And who gets limited to 6 songs an hour.

Just keep hitting your refresh button :o )

Sit there for hours going refresh refresh refresh and grabbing the songs that sound good.

hope you can get smuggler working again, it was much easier.
    But IM a Stubborn old bear, if I want it, Im getting it, even if I have to record direct off the sound card.

11. Anonymous says:

Hi Vercingetorix,

Just wondering if there was an update on the progress of restoring Pandora Downloader functionality. You do great work and we appreciate it. Is there anything we can do as users to help or support you?

Thanks,

Seth

12. matt says:

Vercingetorix,

You may want to look at the available source for OpenPandora to help you figure this “problem” out.

Peace,

Matt

13. Anonymous says:

Hi, I’m a .NET programmer and i’ve discovered something very interesting.

The XML file you use to get the song is in the cache but is flushed after reading. 2 Solutions: modify the ACL to remove the delete access (poor). Use a filewatcher to grab the content of the file while not deleted !

14. Anonymous says:

it is Feb. the 7th. any progress made?

15. Anonymous says:

As of today Pandora seemed to use a Secure Connection/Authentication Session to download the MP3 Files. The URL of the MP3 alone is still retrievable from the XML File but the Access to the URL is 403 forbidden for non-authenticated clients :(

Thought this Info might help …

16. Anonymous says:

Hi, you got a 403 forbidden because the last 48 char of the audioUrl in the xml file is encrypted with a homemade Blowfish algorytmh.

I have the source to decrypt it (the source is embedded in the player) but this source is in ActionScript Language and is very long… don’t have the time to try to convert to C# or VB.NET.

Hope this comment help.

17. Vercingetorix says:

Thanks for the tips guys. I haven’t been able to find time for it yet. But after this weekend, I would definitely get something up and running.

18. Anonymous says:

stop leading me on vercingetorix. you do great work , and the whole world wants a copy. But still …. ya cant lead us on.

One more week ………. or are you just fucking with all of us again?

19. Vercingetorix says:

:-)

Well, that was inspiring…

And no, I’m not fucking around, just a couple of days more.

20. Anonymous says:

Dont listen to idiots like him. you are doing fantastic work and we all really appreciate it. The fact you are still working on it is great. A lot of developers start something and never finish.

Take your time and do whatever it takes to get it working and dont let anyone discourage you.

21. Anonymous says:

pandora pay model is based on ads and permission by the recording industry to stream their stuff.

If hacks are prevelant, they will lose their advertising money. I’m sure they have a group of developers whose job it is to search the web for pandora hacks and then fix em.

Just weeks after the hack 5 forums pandora.jar hack came out, it was fixed by developers at pandora.

It seems that a group effort is going to be needed to keep up with this cat and mouse game.

On the other hand, I love pandora streams. I would pay a subscription fee to have DRM free music at 128 bit or higher. Pandora,.. are you listening??

Pandora has introduced me to music that I would have never found on my own and for that, I commend them. I almost feel guilty for trying to hack their system, .. but.. they give us no other choice. Pay subscriptions anyone? DRM free only please.

22. matt says:

^how many posts will it take to make this into an argument? If pity is to be taken upon the Music Genome, pay for the service. I do. That’s my beef with OpenPandora. I made a wrapper, but never (and will never) modify it to detect if you’re paying or not, then move the flash object to the “proper” location. It’s only for subscribers so mnyah :P

23. Anonymous says:

Hi, I’ve managed to get the program to run using IE7, but when it downloads the mp3s into C:/Pandora, the files are there but they’re all EMPTY – they have 0 kb of data in them. Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks for writing such a great program!

24. Anonymous says:

please don’t give up on this program!! come on guys, give the guy some enouragement and some motivation!! i love you!!

25. Street says:

Thanks for all your efforts on getting this back up and running. I wish I had the skills to be of assistance on this. Alass, I do not though. I do check back every few days though, to see if you have had a chance to provide an update. If there is a way a nonprogramer can help, let me know.

Thanks again for your efforts!

26. Anonymous says:

looks like he gave up. oh well.

27. RADIO GEORGIA says:

My whole office is waiting for this program and we are about 700 people :) please keep us updated or at least tell us that u are working on fixing the problem

28. Anonymous says:

Please stop developing the software for non-legal purpose!

PANDORA MEDIA, INC.
    TERMS OF USE
    (EFFECTIVE AS OF JULY 14, 2005)

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

3. RESTRICTIONS

You agree that you will not:

3.1 use the Pandora Services to reproduce copyrighted materials;

3.2 copy, store, edit, change, prepare any derivative work of or alter in any way any of the tracks streamed through the Pandora Services;

3.3 make the Pandora Services available over a network (other than Pandora’s network) where it could be used by others;

3.4 provide your password to any other person;

3.5 translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, modify or create derivative works based on the Pandora Services or any portion of them;

3.6 circumvent any technology used by Pandora or its licensors to protect content accessible via the Pandora Services;

3.7 rent, lease or sublicense any of the Pandora Services; or

3.8 use the Pandora Services in any way that violates the terms of this Agreement.

29. Anonymous says:

Anything on the Internet is Free!

30. Elizabeth says:

Please don’t give up on this! It’s such a great idea and program!

31. Anonymous says:

i think someone paid him or threatened him to stop working on it.

32. Your Mom says:

I think you might be right…

33. Anonymous says:

If you come across a song you like in Pandora, simply search the album name or artist on a torrent site and you will more than likely find a torrent with the song that you like, not to mention other songs from the same artist that you might also like. That is what I have done. ;) Even if this downloader does work, Pandora.com will only change things around again. :S

34. Anonymous says:

I was able to see music lists on the downloader and download the musics. But the problem is the musics are 0 bytes. I wonder how to fix the problem.

35. FenyX says:

Same problem for me. So what now, Vercingetorix ?
    Thanks anyway for your work

36. Anonymous says:

…or, if you find an artist you like on Pandora.com, you could buy their CD. Pandora plays a lot of independent artists, and these artists rely on cd sales to allow them to continue creating the music that you are enjoying.

37. Anonymous says:

How do you extract the binary?

38. Anonymous says:

Buy the CD, Yeah I would if you could , most of the music I hear on Pandora you can’t buy here on CD…..Also it’s the first time I tried this programme, It’s not working anyway downloads are 0 bytes……

39. Steven says:

Are you going to update this app, or did Pandora completely break it?
    Please let us know
    thanx

40. Vercingetorix says:

It seems unlikely that I would be able to fix it right now. Sorry for that.

41. Anonymous says:

It was working for me a few days ago. Now it just saves empty files. Any idea why it was working for that brief, glorious time?

42. Anonymous says:

Works but the file saved is 0kb? :-(

43. Nick says:

Hey I have this smuggler thing working great with pandora’s box. NO IE, woohoo. It would be nice to be able to alphabetise artist/song name in the next version. Is there a next version? I have 1.0, and can’t find anything newer.

Here’s hoping that Daniel at pandora’s box open-sources his code soon so that someone could make a nice mash-up of the two programs.

It would be cool to have pandora’s box running with a download option over each song. I’d write the mash-up program, but I don’t have any time to do a decent job of it. stupid school :(

44. @Anonymous “Please stop developing the software for non-legal purpose!”

Recording tracks from Pandora is no different from recording content on a DVR like TiVo… or from recording terrestrial radio content on tapes.

This is legal, fair use. Period.

45. Anon says:

This isn’t working for me: “No data available yet”.

Has pandora “broken” this tool?

46. SomeGuy says:

Just searching for updated information… This app has such great potential, I hope it hasn’t died!

Thanks.

47. baka na says:

why don’t you guys just pull up the list under ‘edit station’ and just search for the damn files in a mp3 downloading program.. *sigh* it would take you a whole lot less time than reading and posting here! don’t get me wrong, if something like this wasnt being circumvented by the pandora research team, this would be a great idea for a program, but lets face it, any program that becomes famous for ripping pandora is going to be fixed because pandora needs to make the money for the work they do. I respect the Music Genome Project just for providing this free service, dont rip them off, rip the music industry off that bleeds musicians dry!